At Green Retreats, we take our responsibility to the environment very seriously. Read our Eco-Policy below to find out how we care for the environment…
Due to the scarcity of natural resources, it is essential to us that throughout every stage of development that careful consideration is taken to reduce our impact on the environment.
We have created this Eco-Policy to highlight key areas of focus. It is our commitment to ensure our garden rooms have zero adverse effects on the environment – and where we possibly can, a positive one.
Our Environmental Policy
All of the many materials used to construct our garden buildings have been carefully chosen for optimal performance and superior ecological values too.
When we are shopping for building materials and suppliers they have to fulfil tight criteria.
1) Can the materials be sourced locally? This helps to cut down on pollution transporting the materials long distances, as well as supporting local businesses!
2) Can the materials be recycled? To be sustainable we need to ensure that our buildings don’t leave lasting damage to the environment, which is why we ensure that any new materials can be completely recycled.
What’s more, where quality is not compromised we try to use ‘second life’ materials – which are materials that have already been recycled!
Green Retreats sends no waste to landfill.
By carefully recycling our waste materials and off-cuts, we are able to ensure that we contribute zero waste to landfill.
Any waste that cannot be recycled is given to our local recycling centre for incineration. This incinerator creates energy which is used as fuel to produce power for our local village power grid – how cool is that!
Our Buckinghamshire production facility, as well as our showroom and offices, are powered from one of the UK’s largest solar panel farms.
Power from the solar panels contributes to around 45% of our energy, taking care of a large proportion of our usage requirements in a clean way.
There are plans afoot in the very near future for this solar panel grid to expand, meaning we can harness even more clean energy from this local source!
We only use responsibly sourced timber from FSC certified suppliers; with 5 trees planted for every 1 used in our construction.
Stunning wooden cladding and structural timber play a key role in the design and construction of our garden rooms. This precious resource is essential to sustain the environment, which is why we take our responsibility very seriously.
For every 1 tree used, 5 more are planted in their place – helping to keep our forests full and thriving!
Our Showrooms, Offices and Production Facility are completely Carbon Neutral!
We work hard to make sure that our carbon footprint is as small as possible. Any residual carbon that remains from our operations is offset against carbon positive projects around the world.
This final piece of our puzzle means that we can build our garden rooms, operate our offices and run our showrooms with absolutely no negative effects on the environment.
We are a certified as a Climate Aware Company by ClimateCare.
“What draws me to this business is the sustainability, ethics and principles on which its founded.”
Kevin McCloud | BAFTA Award Winning Broadcaster, Writer & Environmentalist
Kevin McCloud | Green Retreats Brand Ambassador
Our brand ambassador, Kevin McCloud, chose to work with us in no small part to our ethics regarding the environment and our eco-policy.
Kevin McCloud is not only an archetecture guru, but a noted environementalist too. Our principles for sustainability align perfectly with Kevin’s, making the partnership a perfect match.
Watch our short film of when Kevin came to visit Green Retreats for the first time…
We don’t get complacent about our commitment to the environment, which is why we are continaully looking at areas of our eco-policy where we can improve.
If you are intersted, below are some of our other areas of focus where we have made improvements:
- Construction | Foundations: We use a concrete pile foundation that is designed to use substantially less concrete – less concrete means less energy used to produce.
- Construction | Foundations: Our composite spacer pads used in our foundation system are made from recycled silage wrap!
- Construction | Composite Cladding: Our stylish composite cladding is made for 100% recycled & reclaimed materials!
- Factory | Layout: In early 2017 the factory layout was changed to allow for more efficient working. We are able to work to a greater capacity which in turn reduces our fuel consumption.
- Factory | Lighting: In 2016 all halogen lights in the factory were changed to energy-efficient LED, which are also powered by solar energy
- Factory | Heating: We use an air source heat pump to heat our underfloor heating which is more efficient and produces fewer carbon emissions. The power for this system is provided by solar energy.
- Factory | Doors: Our factory doors run from a sensor to activate a rolling shutter – helping to minimise heat loss and reheating energy.
- Telephones: In late 2016 we upgraded our telephone and internet system to increase speed, meaning that we can hold VoIP and virtual meetings within the company and with suppliers – saving fuel emissions.
- Printing: We recycle all of our printer cartridges and are always looking at ways to reduce our printing needs.