Are Green Retreats really “Green”?
At Green Retreats, we take our responsibility to the environment very seriously. Due to the scarcity of natural resources it is essential to us that throughout every stage of development that careful consideration is taken to reduce our impact on the environment. Read our environmental policy below to find out about our commitment to ensuring that the garden rooms we produce either have zero adverse effects on the environment and where we possibly can, a positive one.
- Our factory operates as 100% carbon neutral, leaving no negative impacts on the environment in its day-to-day operation.
- Powered by solar energy: Our factory is powered from one of the UK’s largest-scale solar installation at Westcott Venture Park – 10 acres in size with 6,102 solar panels. To date, this solar park has prevented 1,400 tonnes of CO2 from being released into the atmosphere.
- Efficiency: In early 2017 the factory layout was changed to allow for more efficient working. We are able to work to a greater capacity which in turn reduces our fuel consumption.
- Recycling: All timber, cardboard, plastic and paper waste is recycled on site with Bucks Recycling who also have their premises here at ultra-eco- friendly Westcott Venture Park. Sharing a site with Bucks Recycling and using them to recycle our waste minimises traffic congestion and CO2 used in transport.
- Lighting: In 2016 all halogen lights in the factory were changed to energy efficient LED, which are also powered by solar energy.
- Heating: We use an air source heat pump to heat our underfloor heating which is more efficient and produces fewer carbon emissions. The power for this system is provided by solar energy.
- Doors: Our factory doors run from a sensor to activate a rolling shutter – helping to minimise heat loss and reheating energy.
- Our offices are 100% carbon neutral. With the energy and carbon used being offset, the operation of our offices and showroom leave no negative impact on the environment.
- Powered by solar energy: Our offices, same as our factory, are powered from one of the UK’s largest-scale solar parks.
- Communications: In late 2016 we upgraded our telephone and internet system to increase speed, meaning that we can hold VoIP and virtual meetings within the company and with suppliers – saving fuel emissions.
- Recycling: All paper, cardboard and plastic is recycled by Bucks Recycling here on site at Westcott Venture Park.
- Printing: We recycle all of our printing cartridges and are always looking at ways to reduce our printing needs.
- Invested by all employees: Each of our people across our company is committed to reduce our impact on the environment.
- Like-Minded Suppliers: It is important that our suppliers take responsibility for their own impact on the environment and have policies in place to do so.
Design and Construction
- Foundations: We use a concrete pile foundation that is designed to use substantially less concrete – less concrete means less energy used to produce.
- Timber: All of our timber is FSC certificated – guaranteed to be from sustainable forest programmes.
- Materials: Certain elements of our construction materials are ‘second life’ being recycled to make a composite that is strong and durable.
- We have always used a fleet of Mercedes Sprinter vans to transport our garden room materials – the world’s first van to meet the future Euro 6 emissions standard. We regularly maintain our fleet to ensure maximum efficiency.
- In early 2017 we invested in a fully electric side loader van, powered from the solar grid at our factory in Westcott Venture Park.
- Car Charging: On site at our showroom we have a Tesla Charging Station.
- Bus Link: There is now a bus-link through to our showroom which runs from Aylesbury to Bicester with a stop at Westcott Venture Park on the way. Look out for the Number 17 bus service.
- We will continually review our processes and procedures.